Thursday, July 30, 2015

Reflections for this Week

This week has been great! I have really enjoyed all of the artist talks and demonstrations and the writing experiences. I have also enjoyed being able to collaborate with other teachers and learn about the different things that they are doing.
It has been really nice to expand my experience in sculpture and learn new ways of incorporating it into my classroom. I normally gravitate to painting more than sculpture, but this week has shown me different ways of making sculpture that are really fun and fairly easy to do. While it does take a lot of time and concentration, the materials that we are using are easy to work with.
The quink is AWESOME! I am still trying to get the hang of it, but I really enjoy working with it. When I do paintings I normally like to have a lot of control over what I am doing, but the quink forces me to let go and just see what happens. I may try to use this in my painting class this year. I will definitely have to order some for myself to play with at home!
I also really enjoyed the writing time. I am like a lot of people out there that normally dread having to do writing, but it was presented in a way that made me more open to it. It pushed me to start thinking in a different way and try to write different from what I am used to. I have never been very good at creative writing and this gave me a chance to improve that skill. I think the best part about the writing was that I didn’t really feel any pressure to write a certain way or worry about having to share what I wrote. I am definitely one of those people that does not like to share their writing with a group.

Talking about place has really made me think. At first I came up with the simple answer of physical locations. Then I thought about it more and came up with tons of different ideas about place. I think that this will be a great conversation to have with my students to really get them thinking, and thinking in different ways. I definitely want to incorporate these ideas of place with my students this year and see what they come up with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment