Yesterday's forum and brainstorming session was a good time to discuss ways to incorporate everything we have learned into the classroom. At first, I was not into it. I was feeling overwhelmed and for a moment forgot that I was a teacher--I just wanted to get in the studio and play some more! Once we got going, however, it became clear that it would have been remiss to exclude this session. We have to know how we are going to implement what we learned! One of the best things about this session was gathering various ideas about how to include the concept of "place" in the art classroom.
Barb, I understand. We all have so little time to create as artists that it is hard to give that up when we get it. I do think though, it is important to take the time to reflect on our thoughts and experiences and how they can be used to develop curriculum. Some of my best lesson ideas have come from experiences separate from school. As June said, "art isn't made in a vacuum." The same is true of a good lesson plan! Thanks for sticking with us yesterday. :)
Say Katie, I think the work we did on Essential Questions was some good stuff. I know some people had strong ideas where they wanted to go but we had great ideas to pick from and narrow down from. In my classroom I use place in with Historical / Cultural paper. Just after our ceramic unit I have the students do a little family background research of their own culture in regard to ceramic. I have always been successful with students finding more about themselves and culture. I would like to do more on this unit now with culture and place.
This will be a good resource when I get back to my classroom. If any of you come up with interesting lesson plans please share.
ReplyDeleteShawna, if you'd be willing to share your lesson on objects that would be great! I think Caskey was really interested in exchanging.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYesterday's forum and brainstorming session was a good time to discuss ways to incorporate everything we have learned into the classroom. At first, I was not into it. I was feeling overwhelmed and for a moment forgot that I was a teacher--I just wanted to get in the studio and play some more! Once we got going, however, it became clear that it would have been remiss to exclude this session. We have to know how we are going to implement what we learned!
ReplyDeleteOne of the best things about this session was gathering various ideas about how to include the concept of "place" in the art classroom.
Barb, I understand. We all have so little time to create as artists that it is hard to give that up when we get it. I do think though, it is important to take the time to reflect on our thoughts and experiences and how they can be used to develop curriculum. Some of my best lesson ideas have come from experiences separate from school. As June said, "art isn't made in a vacuum." The same is true of a good lesson plan! Thanks for sticking with us yesterday. :)
DeleteSay Katie,
ReplyDeleteI think the work we did on Essential Questions was some good stuff.
I know some people had strong ideas where they wanted to go but we had great ideas to pick from and narrow down from.
In my classroom I use place in with Historical / Cultural paper.
Just after our ceramic unit I have the students do a little family background research of their own culture in regard to ceramic. I have always been successful with students finding more about themselves and culture.
I would like to do more on this unit now with culture and place.