Absolutely! For me my writing feeds my visual art and my visual art feeds my writing. In the form of artist books, writing and art are married by structure or form of the book.
Is every form of communication art? Or is there a difference between a poem and a form letter from the IRS communicating that you owe back taxes? I have heard that art requires interpretation and invites multiple pouts of view. You wouldn't want ambiguity in a tax form, but maybe ambiguity is a hallmark of art.
In a literal sense, as artists we need to be able to discuss our work and the work of other artists in written form. Becoming an articulate and effective writer can strengthen our position, and thus our art-making practice. An artist statement invites others into conversations about our work, engages historical and theoretical discourse, and encourages discussion about trends in contemporary art.
Definately! Although I don't let students replace a project with writing I do encourage them to either draw or write when brainstorming ideas for a project. We all think different and providing a variety of avenues to promote creative processes is important. I do feel that there is a difference between creative writing and situational writing. We are all writers and we are all artists. The degree we engage in these activities determines our level of mastery.
Absolutely! For me my writing feeds my visual art and my visual art feeds my writing. In the form of artist books, writing and art are married by structure or form of the book.
ReplyDeleteArt to me is a way to communicate with someone, even if it is only yourself. Writing is a way to communicate, thus it is art.
ReplyDeleteArt to me is a way to communicate with someone, even if it is only yourself. Writing is a way to communicate, thus it is art.
ReplyDeleteArt is used to convey a thought or idea. So yes writing is art.
ReplyDeleteIs every form of communication art? Or is there a difference between a poem and a form letter from the IRS communicating that you owe back taxes? I have heard that art requires interpretation and invites multiple pouts of view. You wouldn't want ambiguity in a tax form, but maybe ambiguity is a hallmark of art.
ReplyDeleteIn a literal sense, as artists we need to be able to discuss our work and the work of other artists in written form. Becoming an articulate and effective writer can strengthen our position, and thus our art-making practice. An artist statement invites others into conversations about our work, engages historical and theoretical discourse, and encourages discussion about trends in contemporary art.
ReplyDeleteDefinately! Although I don't let students replace a project with writing I do encourage them to either draw or write when brainstorming ideas for a project. We all think different and providing a variety of avenues to promote creative processes is important. I do feel that there is a difference between creative writing and situational writing. We are all writers and we are all artists. The degree we engage in these activities determines our level of mastery.
ReplyDelete